Call us free on 0800 145 6852

Start claim
Have you suffered from
medical negligence?

If you receive substandard or inappropriate medical care and you're injured as a result, you could be entitled to claim compensation.

NHS Complaints Procedure

You might find it reassuring to know that all NHS healthcare providers have procedures in place for receiving feedback, both positive and negative.

This means you can make a formal complaint against an NHS service if you’re unhappy with the care you received. Your complaint may be made against a service, such as a dentist’s surgery, or hospital, or an individual member of staff, such as doctor, nurse, anaesthetist, dentist or physiotherapist, for example.

NHS complaints can help identify problem areas and unsafe practises, and could prevent other people suffering a similar experience.

If you’ve been injured as a result of substandard treatment, our solicitors are experienced in NHS claims, and can help you claim the compensation you deserve.  

Your patient rights and the responsibilities of the NHS are laid out in the NHS Constitution, including the procedures for making a complaint. The NHS Choices website states that anyone who lodges a complaint against the NHS has the right to have the situation investigated and to receive a full and prompt reply.

Where to start – local resolution

You can lodge your complaint with either the NHS service directly or to the local Primary care trust (PCT) responsible for that NHS service. Both of these channels are known as “local resolution”, this is where most complaints are resolved.

Most NHS providers have an official complaints manager. This means, for example, if you would like to complain about your local GP but don’t feel comfortable raising the issue with them directly, you can talk to someone independent in private. You should ask your local practitioner or complaints manager about their complaints procedure and start your complaint either verbally or in writing.

What happens next?

You should receive a full and prompt reply with the outcome of your complaint from the organisation you complained to.

If, at this stage, you’re not happy with the outcome, you can raise your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Click here for more information about talking to an ombudsman.

When an apology isn’t enough – NHS claims

If you’ve been either physically or psychologically harmed by substandard treatment, you may be eligible to claim medical negligence compensation.

  • Negligence claims against the NHS are handled by The NHS Litigation Authority (NHSLA)
  • In 2010/11 The NHSLA received 8,655 claims of clinical negligence and paid out £863 million
  • Fewer than 2% of the cases handled by the NHSLA end up in court  

You can call us for free, and one of our helpful legally trained advisors can help you understand your rights, if you may be able to claim compensation, and what’s involved in making a claim against the NHS.

Making a Claim against the NHS

"The government has funds set aside to meet those claims".
Neil Clayton, medical negligence solicitor