Call us free on 0800 145 6852

Start claim
Have you suffered from
medical negligence?

If you receive substandard or inappropriate medical care and you're injured as a result, you could be entitled to claim compensation.

Claiming on Behalf of a Loved One

We understand that sometimes, patients who’ve been injured as a result of medical negligence are unable to claim compensation themselves, due to age, illness, or language difficulties.

We regularly help immediate family members claim medical negligence compensation on behalf of a loved one.



If the patient is unable to make a claim, a 'litigation friend' will need to be appointed to make decisions on the patient's behalf. A 'litigation friend' could be a family member, a close friend or a carer.  

Claiming compensation on behalf of a child

Immediate family members can claim compensation on behalf of children under the age of 18. The claim is made by a ‘litigation friend’ (often the parent) who pursues the claim on behalf of the patient.

If the claim is successful, the compensation is invested in the court funds office in a high interest savings account until the child reaches the age of 18. In some situations, it is possible to access some of the compensation before the child is 18, but the court will only approve this if it believes that the child has an immediate need and the money will be used only for the child's benefit.

In cases of disability, part of the compensation can be divided into regular payments to cover expenses like equipment, carers and transport which may be needed by the child.

Claiming compensation on behalf of a deceased loved one

Tragically, medical negligence can occasionally be fatal. If medical negligence has played a part in the death of someone close to you, we understand the affect that will have had on every area of your life. ​

We work hard to help family members and dependants claim compensation on behalf of their loved ones. Making such a claim can help ease financial pressures, such as the loss of the deceased’s contribution to the family income, as well as covering funeral costs.

If you feel you need extra support following the death of a loved one, Cruse Bereavement Care offers free counselling and support services to bereaved people across the UK.​

Before contacting us

If you’re making a claim on behalf of a loved one, please ensure you have the consent of the claimant before proceeding.